Monday, November 17, 2008

Moses "Teish" Cannon Murdered in Syracuse

By Kristen Drew
Monday, November 17, 2008 at 6:25 p.m.

SYRACUSE -- Outside of a Seymour Street home in Syracuse, friends of Moses "Teish" Cannon have started a memorial to remember their friend who was shot to death on Friday.

Police say Cannon's sexual orientation was the motive; he was born male but lived as a transgender woman.

"People believe, because RuPaul is famous, that transgendered people are no longer experiencing discrimination and that's just not true and this is an example of that," said Elizabethe Payne who started the Q Center @ ACR, an outreach group for youth.

Click for complete article

Courtesy of Roxanne Green
Moses "Teish" Cannon.

Family says Moses Cannon was shot because he was gay, and his killing should be treated as a hate crime
by Robert A. Baker / The Post-Standard
Saturday November 15, 2008, 11:22 PM
Click for The Post-Standard Article

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ran across your blog because I did a search on Teish's name.. I read the article about what happened to her on the No on 8 campaign's front page. My first thought was, "Hey, wait a minute, she's not gay, she's trans." Gender identity and sexual orientation aren't interchangeable. It looks like she identified as female, and it looks like she dated men, which makes her straight. I can understand if her folks preferred having a gay son to a trans daughter, but I still wince at the thought that the memorials being held for her will call her "him." I can't imagine that that is how she would like to be remembered.

Oh...sorry, I'm not picking on you. You're just the first link I found that acknowledged that she was transgendered.