
Okay, mi gente, I'm feeling the need to address the fact that friends have thrown Hillary and Obama at me on Facebook and that CNN is also throwing all sorts of stuff around.It’s true, I order lattes with skim milk at Starbucks when I’m near one. This is most usually when I travel to professional conferences in urban areas. It’s true, I make more income than my mother or grandparents made. I am one of those “higher income and educated” folks that statistically are voting for Barack Obama in greater numbers than for Hillary Clinton.
CNN likes to say that Senator Clinton has the “lunch bucket vote,” older folks, women, Latin@s, Chinese-Americans, and Whites. Senator Obama has educated folks, African-Americans, Blacks, the young, the higher income folks, and people who identify across these categories. Thank you, CNN.
Put Hillary and Barack together and you have a pretty good cross section of who can vote in this country -- I guess just about everybody. Why don’t they make nice and get together to make a ticket? Thank you, Pundits.
Okay, mi gente, so while the headlines are saying GENDER or RACE it seems to me that the underlying, and as usual ignored, issue is CLASS. Forgive me for this feminist thought, but don’t you think taking an intersectional approach could be useful here? I mean, how about thinking about RACE, GENDER, AND CLASS? Who are working-class African-American women voting for? Who are transgender women of color voting for? And why oh why are the Puerto Rican “delegates” all set to vote for Hillary when Puerto Ricans cannot vote for president when we are living on the island? Which brings me back to my original point.
Yes, I’ll have a latte and yes I’m Boricua and yes, I’m liberal (actually, I'm "Other" in my political views on Facebook), and yes I’m now higher income and educated, but why does this matter when most Puerto Ricans CANNOT vote for president simply based on where we live; on island = no, in the U.S. = yes. A plane ticket away from a vote. That’s anywhere from one hour to five hours away from deciding who will be the next president. The Latin@ vote? Break it down. Latin@s in the U.S. are diverse.
"Travel now. No Passport Required." We're a "winter escape."
1 comment:
Did you hear how Hillary said that the people who vote for her are more representative of the United States as a whole than those who vote for Obama? What exactly does that mean? And why does she keep saying things like this?
And I like throwing Obama on facebook; its like sharing the Obama love one toss at a time!
Post a Comment