CYNTHIA TUCKERMY OPINION
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 01/20/08
After a recent column describing Barack Obama as "a presidential candidate who happens to be black — not a black presidential candidate," I received countless responses from readers, a handful of them odd. That odd handful declared they take no notice of superficial traits such as skin color, and they took me to task for making any reference to Obama's race.
"I thought of [Obama] as a person. I did not see black or white or Hispanic or that he was a man — I saw a person! If people really, truly want racial equality — then the first step has to be to STOP looking at skin color," wrote one reader.
"When I look at a person, the last thing I think about is skin color or heritage," wrote another.
Sorry, but I'm not buying it. While I am sympathetic to any desire to get past dated and useless habits of mind — especially the contentious politics of the color line — that's just nonsense. Not one of us, black, white or brown, is colorblind.
....
For the complete opinion piece by Cynthia Tucker, click on the title of this post above. For information on the science that Tucker includes in her piece, check out the post below.
No comments:
Post a Comment