Monday, September 17, 2007

Honoring the Life of William Liberi '05

foto: S. Bear Bergman

September 18, 2007 — Police identify man found dead

The Canandaigua Police Department has identified the person found dead in an apartment Friday.

William Liberi, 23, was found dead Friday around 12:30 p.m. in his home at 348 Jefferson Ave., Apt. 39, police said.

His cause of death has yet to be determined.

Police encouraged anyone with information about the case to call them at (585) 396-5044.


Before Wells was “co-ed” we already had full-time students who were men. Nick and Will were the first and then others followed. Both Nick and Will transitioned at Wells and found that a women’s college is both a safe place for queer students as well as a strange place for gender changes. Within our small LGB community the T was added and dialogues began that had never been heard around campus. Will was in the thick of it. Educating and listening. He wanted to become the “counselor he never had” for LGBT youth.

After graduating from Wells, majoring in Psychology with minors in Religion and Creative Writing, Will began at Syracuse University in the Counseling Psychology program. Following his dream. He would write to me over email and keep in touch. It was good to hear from him. The last time I heard from him he wrote that he was thinking of me and that I should know that I am loved. That was Will. Reminding every one of us queer folk that someone loves us and that someone was most likely Will. His handle was Papa Will and he would answer questions from all sorts of people about trans issues with a patience and kindness that left me speechless. Yes, he was a counselor at heart.

Will was my psychology advisee and my TA for two years. We did a lot of work together. Organizing transgender speakers and performances to raise awareness on campus. He was empathic and caring, always able to support others through difficult times. He fought the good fight against co-ed even though for him, as a young man, it was difficult to hear how much the women students did not want men in their classes. He understood even though it made him angry. What made him angrier though was how the students were no longer listened to after co-ed. Will wrote campus-wide emails advocating dialogue, demanding to be heard.

There are weeks like this, mi gente, where in a short few days the fullest of lives moves on to the next and the very young who barely got started are called away. Let’s send our prayers and remember the courageous among us never leave, they wait for us to catch up.

Prendan unas velitas, herman@s, mandale a Don Willie y el joven Will todo el amor que tienes en tu corazon destrozado. De tripas, corazones. That's all I got.

Written by Will on his LJ:

Sunday, September 9th, 2007
8:57 pm

One little star

If one little star
In all the sky
Winks out in the night,
Who would notice?

For once,
I don't ask this
Looking for justification
Of wanting to die in peace.

I ask as a planet,
Which will continue to orbit
A cooled sun.
Gravity. Loyalty. Habit.


From Leigh Gershman a senior at Wells and friend of Will's:

Dear Wells Community,
With a heavy heart and many tears I need to inform you all that William Nicholas Liberi, birth name Joy Liberi, died last Tuesday, September 11, at his apartment in Canadaigua, NY. He was 23.Will was a great friend, role model, mentor and asset to Wells at the wane of single sex education. Will was an integral part of the then LBQTA (now Q&A), he WRC and was TA for the psych department. He was a bellringer, Student Diversity Club representative, Hillel member and supporter of Henry's VIII,a club that accepted another transgender student, Nick, during Will's freshman year. I founded a Scrabble Club back in 2004 and he gladly attended meetings.

As a transgender student and only male resident at Wells, Will experienced some hate from other Wells students, but support from others. Allies, transquestioning, transgender and homosexual alike sought out his advice on campuswide matters (administrative policies, the co-ed decision, etc.)

When I described Will to my friends and family back home I called him the on-campus shrink (his ambition was to be a social worker to help gender-questioning people) who we could turn to for an open mind, open heart and wealth of ideas to handle our dilenmas. From the first day of orientation when he helped me move into my room, through the personal struggles I had changing majors and taking time off, Will was a great friend with a wonderful sense of humor and open heart.

His cousin, who I had e-mail corresponded just two weeks back regarding getting in touch with Will, brought me the news yesterday.

I would like to arrange a memorial service for Will this week. Please join me in wishing a Wells alum farewell. On Thursday afternoon I will run in Will's honor at Keuka College's inaugural race.

Kindest regards,
Leigh Gershman

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this. I just heard the news and I'm deeply shocked and saddened. I will remember Will's laugh, his excitement, his courageousness, his commitment, and his deep generosity.
Even if he can no longer speak, let's make sure that his voice will continue to be heard.

Anonymous said...

"There are weeks like this, mi gente, where in a short few days the fullest of lives moves on to the next and the very young who barely got started are called away. Let’s send our prayers and remember the courageous among us never leave, they wait for us to catch up."

I have prayed - and will continue to pray - for Will and for myself - that I may live with courage and integrity and hope - all the things that Will's life embodied.

God bless you and keep you, my brother, wherever you are.

ForSocialJustice said...

I am saddened by the news of Will's passing. Will and I shared many interesting conversations during his time at Wells. He had so much to offer. I will always cherish the moments we shared. May his soul rest in peace and light shine upon him always.

Brian Stout said...

Thank you for your kind words. There were many times that if it weren't for Will's attitude, spirit, and determination, I would have given up. We worked together to start an LGBT organization at Syracuse University called Outrage. Will was the only one out of 13,000 students I could count on to show up every single time, and he brought a passion and energy to us that I continue to be inspired by today

The world has truly lost a bright beacon of light, life, and spirit. May we all keep it alive in the years to come.

Anonymous said...

Gracias Profesora Munoz por tus palabaras sobre Will. I am at a loss for adequite words to describe the loss I feel in losing such a patient and sweet man. From when he first came to Wells I noticed his activism and involement in change and speaking out. We worked on many projects, actions, and shared many discussions about everything under the sun. Will was a good friend and his memory will always be with me and the other lives he touched.

Anonymous said...

my favorite memory of will happened when he was a freshman- at a 'sex toy party' sex collective held in '02 in the basement of main.. this woman brought some of the worst sex toys... it was fun and a lot of people didn't know the difference. anyway, near the end she pulled out this ridiculous excuse for a strap on (plastic harness, jelly cock, i don't know what was going on with this thing).. and she asked if anyone wanted to try it on- will was half standing waving his arms like a kid in class who knew the answer. let me tell you seeing him whip that thing on and slap it from side to side will forever be engraved in my memory- that was a great moment.
he rocked the cock.

(sorry, leave it to me to tell THAT story...)

Anonymous said...

woah, sorry about the typo. will- my bad.

Anonymous said...

Hello, Vic

I found your blog from a link on Friendster concerning the unfortunate loss of Will Liberi. Though I did not know Will, reading of home gave me an idea of the impact that his passing had on his loved ones. You. I went on to read your blog and I hate posting anonymously, but I didn't know how else to contact you. I just wanted to tell you I have thus far enjoyed reading the things you post and was pleasantly surprised to see you posted the ridiculous artical concerning fat being contagious. It makes me smile to see other brown queers (assuming you are) being affected by all the caca in the world. I find the whole thing offensive, but let me stop there! Tonight, I am at home alone, its cold and sprinkling. I have felt sad all day, but I found myself smiling, reminiscing about La Isla Verde because of the Boricua reference. Soy mexicana, pero mi mama y su marido movido a Puerto Rico hace algunos años para el trabajo, y yo lo faltan querido puesto que ella fue con el dios.
So maybe its a good thing I couldnt find your contat info, you would have gotten an email about me reminiscing about PR and thanking you endlessly for bringing up beautiful memories and missing.

Sophia Perez

Andria said...

Thank you for posting this... I knew Will in high school... My best friend was his best friend growing up. Will was an amazing person that I wish I had the chance to know better. I visited him at Wells once and he seemed to really have a foundation there.

My favorite memory of Will was how happy he was when he was crowned Rochester Youth King at Pride 2003. I have a picture of him holding his arms open to receive his "public." That is how I will forever remember him.

Rest in Peace, Will.

Andria said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andria said...

Let's try that again.

Vic,

My apologies - I am new to blogspot (as you can see by the havoc I am unintentionally wrecking on your page), and I hit "flag this blog" assuming it meant "flag this blog for further reading purposes" but instead, apparently, it means "flag this blog for objectionable content." Oops!! So, if you receive notification of a complaint, it was a misunderstanding (and now clarified in print).

Best,
Andria

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I attended Wells for only one year, but Will was a friend from my first day to my last day there. I just found out that he's gone and its devistating. He was the most amazing person, and one of the best friends a person could have. We spent many a night talking about everything and he was always there to listen, ever the therapist, giving advice without judgement and opeing his heart to everyone he met. Our circle of friends spent many nights laughing and playing hide and seek in the library at wells, those days spent there with Will and the rest of the troop from Foundations, were the best of my life. He will never be forgotten, I just wish that I could have known sooner, so I could pay my respects. ANd I wish I had gotten to see him one last time. I've been in Europe the last 3 years and we've lost touch, I had hoped that we'd have time to get the gang back together again. I just can't believe it.~Kristen McCormick Lousbury

Anonymous said...

I play a game called Torn City where I met Will He played as a character named Lenn. We both were new to the game and became friends and relied on each other to assist in every day details for the other.
I found out who "Lenn" was only a month or so before he disappeared. And then I found out why. I still send him messages from time to time....to make it short, I miss the guy.

Anonymous said...

Good dispatch and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you for your information.

Anonymous said...

Opulently I acquiesce in but I about the list inform should have more info then it has.